The Descendants of Cain
17And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch. (Uruk).
18And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
- Enoch means “dedication” because the city of Enoch was a new start for Cain.
- Irad means “townsman”. Arad = [עָרַג] verb long for (compare Arabic ascend, II. bend, incline toward (); high, elevated; Ethiopic ascend; Late Hebrew עֲרוּגָה = Biblical Hebrew);
- Mehujael – means “God gives life ( the –el ending is the word God as in elohim). Mechuyael or Mechiyyayel: “smitten of God,” great-grandson of Cain
- Methushael – means “God’s man”. From math and ‘el, with the relative interposed; man who (is) of God;
- Lamech – means “conqueror”
19And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.20And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle. 21And his brother’s name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.22And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubal cain was Naamah.
- Adah. From adah; ornament; adornment / beauty
- Zillah. Feminine of tsel;(shadow). Name Meaning—Shadow of darkness or protection;
- Jabal. The same as yabal; The masculine noun יבל (yabal), meaning water course or conduit. This word is used only in plural (Isaiah 30:25 and 44:4).The adjective יבל (yabbal), meaning running, in the sense of a running (suppurating) sore (Leviticus 22:22)
- Jubal. The masculine noun יובל (yubal), meaning stream (Jeremiah 17:8 only).In Hebrew the meaning of the name Jubal is: The ram.
- Tubal cain. The masculine noun תבל (tebel), meaning confusion or perversion (Leviticus 18:23 and Leviticus 20:12 only).The root-verb קין (qyn) occurs in cognate language with the meaning of to fit together, fabricate or forge. Derived nouns either have to do with metal work, or (curiously) with slaves singing or folks making music (perhaps in the sense of they being forged to do so?). The meaning of fabricating reminds of rootקנה (qana). In the Bible this root occurs only in the masculine noun קין (qayin), meaning spear (2 Samuel 21:16). This word for spear was possibly understood to refer to the way it was fabricated (forged; the point at least), but there’s also a natural association with the noun קנה (qana), meaning reed or stalk.
- Naam ah. The name Naamah comes from the verb נעם(naem) meaning be pleasant, sweet, delightful, beautiful:
Josephus says that Lamech had 77 sons by Ada and Zillah (Ant., I, ii, 2).
23And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
24If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
Meaning of Cain genealogy.
Man – is brought forth – instructing – one running wild – smitten of God – is a man of God – so that despair – overflow.
Interpretation of Lamech genealogy.
19And the pauper took unto him two wives: the name of the one was ornament/dawn, and the name of the other dark/shadow.20And dawn bare the shepherd: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle. 21And his brother’s name was the musician: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.22And dark, she also bare the blacksmith, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of blacksmith was pleasure/beauty.
So begins the Music (frequency) and technology Era.